It’s pear season, and also almost time for Halloween. I’ve been thinking of poaching pears in agua de jamaica for a while, and I based my poaching liquid off my favorite recipe for the drink in Adrianna’s The Year of Cozy. Sadly, my local market was out of oranges (which Adrianna uses in her recipe), so I used grapefruit. Grapefruit turned out to be a fantastic choice for the poaching liquid, as its acidity compliments that of the hibiscus. I actually ended up drinking the leftover straining liquid with water and it was great… Anyways, here’s the recipe.
Serves two + 1 drink
- 1/2 C Dried Hibiscus Flowers
- 1 T Vanilla Extract
- 2 T + 2 t Sugar
- 1 1/2 C Water
- 1/2 C Ruby Grapefruit Juice
- 2 Peeled Pears
- Ice Cream to Serve
- Mix together all the ingredients except the pears and ice cream. Bring them to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the peeled pears in and simmer for 25 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes.
- Let the pears cool in the liquid (at this point I ran to 7-Eleven for ice cream).
- You can drink the liquid after straining (I did this after adding water) or boil it down into a syrup for serving.
- Serve the poached pears with ice cream and enjoy!