I really liked this recipe, which is what I based the scones off. However I thought they would benefit from some chocolate taste and rye flour.
- 1 C Rye Flour
- ¾ C + 2 T Flour
- 2 T Ovomaltine
- ½ t Salt
- 2 t Baking Powder
- ½ t Nutmeg
- 2 T Brown Sugar
- 5 T Cubed Butter
- 2/3 C Milk
- ¾ C Pitted and Sliced Dates
- Heat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Mix together the flours, hot chocolate, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and brown sugar with a whisk.
- Next add the butter. Use your hands to combine it well with the flour-mixture.
- Add in the milk and combine until a nice dough is formed.
- On a floured surface, make the dough into a thick line about 5 inches in width. Put the dates along this line and fold the dough over them.
- Cut this rope into 8 equal pieces and shape them into small triangles
- Place these on a baking pan with a nonstick sheet under them. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with Nutella, Ovomaltine spread, or something chocolatey.